Saturday, June 8, 2013

Ground Turkey and Spinach Stuffed Sweet Potatoes

PaleOMG is where I found this recipe... for those of you who haven't visited her blog she has some great ideas on there. This dish appealed to me mostly because of it's simplicity and short list of ingredients- most of which I had already had. I love that I didn't need to run out to the store and buy a million things, which isn't always the case with the recipes I make.



Ingredients:
2 Sweet Potatoes
2 Tbs Fat (I used bacon fat)
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
1/2 Yellow Onion, diced
1/2 LB Ground Turkey (we purchased ours from Wallace Farms and it was excellent)
2 Tbs Hot Sauce (I did have to go to Whole Foods for this one- I ended up buying Frontera's all natural Red Chile Hot Sauce)
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
5-6 Cups Organic Spinach
Salt & Pepper to taste

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Using a fork poke various holes in your sweet potatoes and wrap in tin foil
Bake for 45-50 minutes or until entirely soft
When your potatoes are nearly finished take your bacon fat and place it in a large skillet on medium high heat
Saute your garlic and onions in your skillet until onions are translucent
Now add your ground turkey to your onions and garlic breaking it up into small pieces
While your turkey is cooking add your hot sauce, garlic powder, cayenne and salt and pepper
Once your turkey is nearly finished cooking add your spinach and cover with a lid to allow the spinach to steam a bit
Stir everything up nicely
When your potatoes are finished slice them down the middle and using a fork mash the insides
Top with your ground turkey mixture and enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment