Monday, January 7, 2013

Are You Getting Enough Vitamin D?

Good News for Sun Worshipers... (It's not all bad for you)

It's January in Chicago and the sun has unfortunately been hibernating since fall... I don't know about you but it has me pretty down. Having self diagnosed myself with seasonal depression (which Kyle gets a kick out of) I often find myself daydreaming of those hot, sunny, summer days that are so few and far between here in Illinois. Why is it that I'm so much happier in the summer? I feel great, I look great (let's face a tan looks good on EVERYBODY) and I feel on top of the world.

The Sun and Vitamin D from it that's why...(well part of the reason at least)

Vitamin D3 (the feel good vitamin)

  • Promotes Bone & Muscle Health
  • Inhibits rapid division of cells (cancer prevention)
  • Prevents/Treats Inflammatory & Autoimmune Diseases (such as heart disease, multiple sclerosis, & rheumatoid arthritis)
  • Studies have shown Vitamin D3 has lowered high blood pressure risks
  • Enhances the immune system by increasing the effects of white blood cells & regulating T cells
  • Improves Mood
  • Cases have shown where Vitamin D3 has improved skin conditions

Because not everyone can get the recommended dose of Vitamin D3 that they need from the SUN alone... (and if you're against taking vitamins)


Food Sources of Vitamin D3 

  • Cod Liver Oil (recommended dose is 1 Tbs Daily)
  • Eggs (The yolks)
  • Mushrooms
  • Fatty Fish (Sardines, Tuna, Herring, Salmon etc)
  • Oysters
http://www.livestrong.com/article/86363-benefits-vitamin-d3/

No comments:

Post a Comment