Monday, January 14, 2013

Zucchini Apple Spice Muffins

Zucchini Apple Spice Muffins (An Interesting Combo But Oh So Good)

I know what you're probably thinking... zucchini and apples that's odd- but I'm telling you give them a try and you'll see. Dare I say I may like these just as much as the carrot banana ones. The original recipe didn't call for walnuts but clearly after making them I feel that they would make a great addition. But I may be bias as I love a good crunch in my muffins. (Let me know what you think)

Ingredients

1 Medium Zucchini, shredded (about a cup worth)
1 Large Apple (I used a Honeycrisp only because that was what we already had, personally I don't like to cook with these as they are so pricey)
1 Cup Almond Butter
1/4 cup Raw Honey
2 Eggs, Whisked
2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
Pinch of Salt
(I would toss in some walnuts or nuts of your choice, but this is optional)
(1/2 tsp of allspice, ginger & cloves was on original recipe but I opted to eliminate these)

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Shred your zucchini, either with the attachment for shredding on your food processor or with a cheese grater. We had neither so I shredded with a good old fashioned knife.
Remove excess liquid from zucchini with as many paper towels as necessary- the zucchini should feel water- less when you are finished.
Place zucchini in a bowl to the side. Now shred your apple, I peeled the skin from the apple first but you can leave the skin on if you would like.
Toss together your zucchini and apple and add the rest of your ingredients mixing well.
Place muffin mix in a greased muffin tin or with liners.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until your toothpick comes out clean after testing them.
Makes 9 Muffins





No comments:

Post a Comment