Saturday, January 5, 2013

Legumes

Let's Talk Legumes...             

Legumes have to be the most questionable restriction when it comes to the Paleo Diet, well at least in my opinion. Legumes are classified as lentils, all beans, peanuts, soy beans and chickpeas. Avoiding these foods to many might sound crazy as most consider these to be "health foods".  It wasn't until I started researching legumes that I truly understood why they are on the "no" list. I found one particular article to be really helpful in breaking down the concept to where it made sense to me. There was one statement in particular that really got me thinking...

"Legumes are extremely toxic in their raw state and must be fermented, soaked, or sprouted in order to be made safe for consumption."

The reason being is that legumes in their natural raw state contain far too many lectins. By fermenting, soaking or sprouting they are reducing the amount of lectins and therefore making the food safe for consumption. Lectins are a type of protein that binds to cell membranes, and that are difficult to digest.  Need I remind you of the old saying beans, beans, the magical fruit the more you eat the more you toot... well that didn't come out of nowhere. Also, as we talked earlier about inflammation and foods to avoid, legumes would be on that list as well.

Legumes also contain phytates or phytic acid which is considered an anti nutrient. (This means that when you are consuming legumes you are ingesting phytates, which has been known to interfere with allowing minerals to be absorbed into the body.) Vital minerals such as calcium, iron, magnesium and zinc. And while research shows you can eat more fruits and vegetables to offset these phytates and their blocking of these minerals, why should you have to? Soy has the highest phytic acid content of all the legumes, therefore making it the worst in my opinion.

As with everything in life moderation is the key. So i'm not saying that I'm never going to enjoy some hummus and carrots again, or an apple with peanut butter, but I will certainly think twice about the amount of legumes I allow into my body come February 1st.


http://livingsuperhuman.com/superhuman30-day-29-why-are-legumes-not-paleo/


No comments:

Post a Comment